Texas Orthopedics is committed to our community’s young football players, so we thought it was important to provide the following important information about concussions.
What Causes a Concussion?
A concussion is caused by a bump, blow, or jolt to the head or from a fall or a blow to the body that causes the head and brain to move quickly back and forth.
Here are a few of the most common symptoms:
- Headache or a feeling of pressure in the head
- Temporary loss of consciousness
- Confusion or feeling as if in a fog
- Dizziness or “seeing stars”
- Appearing dazed
- Slurred speech
- Concentration and memory complaints
- Irritability and other personality changes
- Sensitivity to light and noise
What to Do If You Think You Have a Concussion
Most importantly, don’t return to the field. A player should try to relax and rest. Seek medical attention immediately.