It’s not all about how you look in a bikini. Fitness and exercise should be more about your health. Here are some great, medical benefits you’ll get just from being active!
1. Get better sleep. Want better Z’s? The key is being more active during the day, which can simply translate to standing up more often at work or taking daily, 15 minute walks. The more active you can be, the better you’ll sleep!
2. Strengthen your bones. Bones can be strengthened with regular, weight-bearing activity which can help reduce some of the natural decline in bone health as we get older. If you are already doing a low-impact activity, switch up your routine and try using some free weights.
3. Lower blood pressure. Exercise helps your heart become more efficient at pumping blood, which leads to lower blood pressure. Moderate physical activity like jogging, biking or swimming will work wonders and give you a great reason to enjoy these beautiful sunny days!
4. Relieve Stress. Studies indicate that a regular fitness routine reduces fatigue, improves alertness and elevates mood. So the next time you are feeling stressed, take a quick walk.
5. Reduce the risk of stroke. Researchers have linked inactivity with an increased risk of stroke. Cut your risk by working out at least 5 days a week.
6. Boost Your Immune System. Taking a daily walk or following a simple exercise routine a few times a week may help you feel better. Exercise not only helps your immune system fight off simple bacterial and viral infections, it decreases your chances of developing heart disease, osteoporosis, and cancer.
7. Keep Your Brain Alert. With a regular fitness routine, you can reduce the cognitive decline that is associated with aging. Additionally, getting your kids to exercise will help with their learning and memory.
Whether you are a workout pro or just getting started, remember to be safe with your fitness routine and make sure that you find something you like to do – your body will thank you!