The high speed rushing combined with full body contact makes for a perfect storm in which an injury can occur.
Concussions continue to be the most traumatic injury a football player can suffer. The NFL recently reported that players sustained 271 concussions in 2015, up 32 percent from previous year.
Other common injuries include:
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL), or Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL), tears to the knee
- Tendonitis, or inflammation of tendons, often in the kneecap or shoulder areas
- Ankle sprains and fractures
- Shoulder dislocations, separations, and torn rotator cuffs
- Low back pain due to balancing the excessive pressure put on both the lower and upper body
(Adapted from STOP Sports Injuries)
Keep up with Texas Orthopedics news by following us on Facebook and Twitter (@TexasOrthopedic).