The high speed rushing combined with full body contact makes for a perfect storm in which an injury can occur.
Concussions continue to be the most traumatic injury a football player can suffer. The NFL recently reported that players sustained 271 concussions in 2015, up 32 percent from previous year.
Other common injuries include:
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL), or Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL), tears to the knee
- Tendonitis, or inflammation of tendons, often in the kneecap or shoulder areas
- Ankle sprains and fractures
- Shoulder dislocations, separations, and torn rotator cuffs
- Low back pain due to balancing the excessive pressure put on both the lower and upper body
(Adapted from STOP Sports Injuries)