O. Atilla Onan, MD
Board-Certified Orthopedic Surgeon
Dr. Atilla Onan is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon and fellowship-trained spine surgeon in Austin since 2002. Dr. Onan specializes in surgery of the cervical and lumbar spine.
If you have neck pain or back pain, Dr. Onan can help diagnose your condition and recommend the best course for treatment, including both surgical and non-surgical options. When more conservative, non-surgical treatments fail, Dr. Onan can consider advanced surgical options to help patients get back to their regular activities.
Conditions and treatments include:
- Cervical Spine Surgery
- Cervical Artificial Disc Replacement
- Cervical Discectomy and Fusion
- Disc Herniation or Slipped Disc
- Laminectomy and Laminotomy
- Lumbar Interbody Fusion
- Lumbar Spine Surgery
- Spinal Stenosis
Dr. Onan obtained his certification from the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery in 2005 and has continued uninterrupted since then. He keeps up-to-date with clinical and spine research literature to maintain the Board’s rigorous standards and offer patients the latest modern technology.
Dr. Onan is a member of the Travis County Medical Society, the Texas Medical Association and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Most recently, Dr. Onan was recognized by his peers as a 2021 Austin Monthly Top Doctor.
When he is not working, Dr. Onan enjoys hiking, hunting, traveling and volunteering at Texas Relays and Texas UIL as a USATF certified track official.
- Undergraduate Education:
- University of Texas at Austin -with Honors
- Medical School:
- Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX -with Honors
- Orthopedic Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
- Spine Surgery in Seattle, WA
- Board Certified:
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery -since 2005
Dr. Onan trained at the following facilities:
- Ben Taub General Hospital
- Houston Methodist Hospital
- MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Shriner’s Hospital for Children
- St Luke’s Episcopal Hospital
- Texas Children’s Hospital
- Texas Institute for Rehab. and Research
- VA Medical Center Houston
- Swedish Medical Center Seattle
- Virginia Mason Hospital Seattle
Dr. Onan trained under the guidance of these spine surgeons:
- Jesse H. Dickson, MD
- Wendell D. Erwin MD
- Stephen Esses, MD
- Frank T. Gerow, MD
- Richard J. Haynes, MD
- Michael H Heggeness, MD PhD
- Ronald W. Lindsey, MD
- Ken Leung, MD
- Jeff Garr, MD
- Mark Dales, MD
- Theodore A. Wagner, MD
Meet Isaac Friedman, PA-C
Isaac Friedman is a nationally certified physician assistant or PA, who is licensed to practice medicine in the State of Texas. He completed his training at the University of Pittsburgh in 2020, where he earned his master’s degree in Physician Assistant Studies. As a PA, he works closely with Dr. Onan to help diagnose illness and treat patients. Isaac is also trained to assist in the operating room under the careful direction of a surgeon.
Prior to attending PA school, Isaac worked for two years as a patient care technician at the University of Pittsburg Medical Center (UPMC Mercy and UPMC Presbyterian). During his PA training, Isaac also participated in volunteer work with the Allegheny County Medical Reserve Corps.
University of Pittsburgh – summa cum laude
University of Pittsburgh Physician Assistant Studies Program
National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants
Isaac trained at the following facilities:
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
- Armstrong County Medical Hospital
- University OBGYN Associates
- Heritage Valley Hospital-Kennedy
Isaac trained with the following physicians:
- Kurt Stahlfield, MD
- Lynn Johnson, MD
- Robert Woods, MD
- Jacob Smith, MD
- Maher Ayyash, MD
- Rocco Adams, MD
When he is not treating patients, Isaac enjoys outdoor activities, cycling, tennis, playing guitar and rooting for his home football team–the Pittsburgh Steelers. Isaac lives in South Austin with his fiancé and their two cats.