Have you ever wondered why the bubbles in the much-loved Guinness brand beer flow in a downward direction before settling back up at the top? Mathematicians at the University of Limerick (Ireland) discovered this was due to the unique shape of the pint glasses the beer is so often served in.
Here is some other interesting St. Patrick’s Day trivia for you:
- 83% of Americans wear green on this day
- 34% will make a special dinner, likely including corned beef and potatoes
- About 5.5 million pints of Guinness are consumed around the world daily, and that number more than doubles on St. Patrick’s Day
- In 2009, 36.9 million Americans claimed Irish ancestry, which was actually eight times the entire population of Ireland for that year
- The largest known collection of four-leaf clovers belongs to Edward Martin, Sr., from Alaska made up of 111,060 clovers collected over an eight year period
- Slainte, pronounced (slahn-chuh) is an Irish toast for good health, similar to our “cheers”
So, slainte, from all of us at Texas Orthopedics! We wish you a safe and happy St. Patrick’s Day!