James L. Smith Jr., MD
Board-Certified Orthopedic Surgeon
For more than 20 years, Dr. James L. Smith, Jr. has been a practicing spine surgeon in the Austin Area. He is board certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery with advanced fellowship training in spine surgery. Since 1989, Dr. Smith has helped patients with complex spine problems. He specializes in surgery of the cervical and lumbar spine.
When conservative treatments fail, Dr. Smith will discuss your surgical options. He performs many advanced spine surgery procedures that can get you back to an active, healthy lifestyle.
Dr. Smith has earned the trust of local providers in taking care of their family, friends and patients and has been recognized by his peers as a Texas Monthly Super Doctor year after year. He has recently made the Super Doctors Hall of Fame as a Legacy Member by making this prestigious list over 15 years. Dr. Smith has recently been recognized by his peers as a 2021 Austin Monthly Top Doctor.
- Undergraduate Education:
- University of Texas at Austin
- Medical School:
- University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX
- Orthopedic Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
- Spine Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine & University of British Columbia, Vancouver
- Board Certified:
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery